Music of the World is a regular blog on Music Industrapedia which seeks to explore the most interesting contemporary music from every country in the world.
Join us as we explore interesting music acts that we have created pages for on Music Industrapedia:
Scroll Down the Page to See each Episode, then click on the Music Artist's Page Link, and scroll down and Check Out their Music Video!
EPISODE #24 - DESTINATION: EL SALVADOR
- #24 - Pescozada: - Pescozada (Published: 2nd April 2016) MUSIC OF THE WORLD #24: DESTINATION 'EL SALVADOR'
Pescozada are Hip-hop group from Chalatenango, El Salvador who rap in Spanish about political and social challenging themes within El Salvador. Their founders 'Debil Estar' and 'Fat Lui' witnessed and survived the worst violence of the El Salvadorian civil war in the hardest hit area of Chalatenango to tell their story of hardship, political injustice and economic devastation of its survivors via Hip-hop in their group Pescozada. Over the course of decade the band evolved in its sound and scope adding additional members such as hip-hop producer Omnionn and received critical acclaim and international attention. In addition to this they have been credited as having tremendous influence on first and second generation expatriate Salvadorans throughout North America, and are a key point of reference for Central American hip-hop within the mainstream and music press. You can also add to these accolades, that the group also offers a highly innovative version of music hip hop and hip hop culture through a Central American lense and help promote other Salvadorian Hip-hop artists. Check out their fascinating and very refreshing music video 'El Destino' on our Music Industrapedia page (Pescozada), which includes vision of some Latin American Manga juxtaposed with a rap performance by Debil Estar along with electronica infused hip-hop courtesy of its core music instrumentation creator, member and producer 'Omnionn'.
EPISODE #23 - DESTINATION: MAURITANIA
- #23 - Noura Mint Seymali: - Noura Mint Seymali (Published: 16th March 2016) MUSIC OF THE WORLD #23: DESTINATION 'MAURITANIA'
Noura Mint Seymali is a Psychedelic Blues artist from Mauritania who draws on Moorish fusion elements to create her unique sound. She has received rave reviews from the contemporary music press. Vice magazine have said this of her most recent album: "Noura Mint Seymali has put out arguably the best psych blues album of 2014. Imagine a modernized, transcendent combination of Umm Kulthum and Captain Beefheart. The themes and initial songs are timeless, the sound is utterly contemporary. Noura Mint Seymali’s cred is unfuckwithable". Check out her unique sound on the music video on her Music Industrapedia page (on the link above).
EPISODE #22 - DESTINATION: LATVIA
- #22 - Latvia: - Vitas (Published: 2nd March 2016) MUSIC OF THE WORLD #22: DESTINATION 'LATVIA'
Vitas is a Latvian born singer-songwriter who is renowned for his unusual self-made stage outfits and unique alien like vocal style. He is popular in Russian and Asian markets and is gradually breaking into western contemporary music markets. Check out his unique stage show on the music video on his Music Industrapedia page (on the link above).
EPISODE #21 - DESTINATION: VENEZUELA
- #21 Venezuela: - Los Amigos Invisibles Published:14th July 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #21: DESTINATION 'VENEZUELA': 'Los Amigos Invisibles' are a Latin Grammy Award Winning Acid Jazz / Pop Funk outfit from Caracas who caught the ear of David Byrne (of Talking Heads fame) who signed them to his Luaka Bop Record Label. This band is arguably the coolest and most successful band to emerge from Venezuela. Check out their cool sound and great vibe on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #20 - DESTINATION: ETHIOPIA
- #20 Ethiopia - Gigi (Ejigayehu Shibabaw) Published:3rd July 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #20: DESTINATION 'ETHIOPIA': 'GiGi' is one of Ethiopia's most successful female music artists. Her unique and haunting voice weaving through her various music styles ranging from World Music to Ethiopian Soul has captured the hearts of many around the world including renowned International Jazz musician (and husband) Bill Laswell and Chris Blackwell (of Island Records fame) who has signed GiGi to his Palm Picture label. Have a listen to the unforgettable voice of Ethiopian singing star GiGi on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #19 - DESTINATION: CHINA
- #19 China - Tang Dynasty Published:13th June 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #19: DESTINATION 'CHINA': 'Tang Dynasty' are considered to be the first metal band in China and pioneers of metal music in China. Their sound is a bit like a Chinese version of Black Sabbath. Check them out, they are definitely worth a listen…)
EPISODE #18 - DESTINATION: FRANCE
- #18 France - Marcel et son Orchestre Published:8th June 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #18: DESTINATION 'FRANCE': 'Marcel & His Orchestra (Marcel et son Orchestre) is a fun, camped up French Ska Punk band who are renowned for their political satire fueled rock in their native France and other French speaking territories of the world (Canada & French speaking African countries)…)
EPISODE #17 - DESTINATION: SOUTH SUDAN
- #17 South Sudan - Emmanuel Jal Published:23rd May 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #17: DESTINATION 'SOUTH SUDAN': 'Emmanuel Jal' is a former child soldier turned international Hip Hop artist. Check out his incredibly moving story from a life of tragedy and despair to become one of the world's most important Hip Hop artists, one who is redefining the genre with his positive and powerful message of transformation to the youth of Africa and and the rest of the world. Check out his music video for 'War Child' and his career story on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #16 - DESTINATION: SPAIN
- #16 Spain - Hidrogenesse Published:13th May 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #16: DESTINATION 'SPAIN': 'Hidrogenesse' are one of the hippest indie duos in Spain with their Art Rock Electronica sound and quirky artful approach to their music. If Spain had an equivalent music act to match the sound and style of France's own 'Air' and 'Daft Punk', it would be 'Hidrogenesse'. Of particular interest, is their concept album "A Bit Iffy' which is an album about on the life of Alan Turing (the father of computer science). These guys are also highly sought after music producers in Spain also. Check out 'Hidrogenesse' on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #15 - DESTINATION: JAPAN
- #15 Japan - Malice Mizer Published:3rd May 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #15: DESTINATION 'JAPAN': 'Malice Mizer' was a major band that belonged to Japan's unique music genre which is called 'Visual Kei'. Visual Kei is visually a bit like Britain's old New Romantic / Blitz movement from the early 80's (on Acid & Steroids at the same time). Musically however, visual kei and in particular the band 'Malice Mizer', can be a blend of glam rock, punk rock, heavy metal and prog. Although Malice Mizer disbanded in 2001, they were considered to be one the most important and diverse bands representing that genre. They also gives meaning to that famous phrase of "Only In Japan"! Check out their page on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #14 - DESTINATION: IRAQ
- #14 Iraq - Acrassicauda Published:29th April 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #14: DESTINATION 'IRAQ': 'Acrassicauda' (which means Black Scorpion in Iraqi) is a thrash metal band from Baghdad whose members now reside in the USA because of death threats they received by militant fundamentalist Muslims in their home country. Their sound is very polished and very good and they have supported some major US bands such as Ministry and are the subject of a documentary film called 'Metal in Baghdad' which was released in 2007. Check out 'Acrassicauda' on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #13 - DESTINATION: PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- #13 Papua New Guinea - Telek Published:24th April 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #13: DESTINATION 'PAPUA NEW GUINEA': 'Telek' is a major musical force in Papua New Guinea. His work with Australian musician David Bridie has taken his music out to the wider world to make him an ambassador for Papuan music and his signing to Peter Gabriel's Real World Records is a testimony to this. George Telek's haunting vocals and rich warm passionate sounds gives rise to the thought that maybe what Bob Marley was to Jamaica, Telek is to Papua. Check out his moving song 'West Papua' calling for freedom for the people of West Papua on his page at Music Industrapedia….)
EPISODE #12 - DESTINATION: URUGUAY
- #12 Uruguay - Natalia Oreiro Published:18th April 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #12: DESTINATION 'URUGUAY' - 'Natalia Oreiro' is a captivating Latin American singer/songwriter and actress from Uruguay whose beauty and charm has captivated the latin music market which saw her nominated for a Latin Grammy and captivated international markets like Russia. Her national popularity saw her singing the theme song for Uruguay's entry into the world cup during the early 2000's. Check out her tropical latin pop sound…)
EPISODE #11 - DESTINATION: BOTSWANA
- #11 Botswana - Skinflint Published:12th April 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #11: DESTINATION 'BOTSWANA' - 'Skinflint' are an African progressive metal band from Botswana who have led a small revolution in the Metal Music movement of Botswana' over the last few years. Skinflint and their African metal fans have attracted TV coverage from the likes of CNN and various rock festivals from around the world. Check out Skinflint on Music Industrapedia…)
EPISODE #10 - DESTINATION: HUNGARY
- #10 Hungary - The Moog Published:5th April 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #10: DESTINATION 'HUNGARY' - 'The Moog' are a contemporary Indie pop band from Budapest in Hungary who have led a revolution in shaking off the old soviet shackles and conservatism of the old Hungary to become a new revitalized force in taking Hungarian popular culture out into the greater world. Check out the slick, enriched and enticing sounds and style of 'The Moog'. They look good and sound great…)
EPISODE #9 - DESTINATION: ANTARCTICA
- #9 Antarctica - Nunatak Published:1st April 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #9: DESTINATION 'ANTARCTICA' - 'Nunatak' is an Indie Rock band stationed at Antartica with the British Antarctic Survey’s Rothera Research Station. These guys performed live at Live Aid in 2007 and were broadcast on TV around the world. Their outside gig (check their video clip) had them playing in a temperature of minus 18 degrees celcius, making them one of the "coolest" bands in the world….)
EPISODE #8 - DESTINATION: MONGOLIA
- #8 Mongolia - Tenger Published:25th March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #8: DESTINATION 'MONGOLIA' - 'Tenger' is a Mongolian throat singing band whose contemporary blending of Mongolian Folk with western music influences brings through amazing sound combinations like throaty Mongolian square dance tunes, to Mongol barbershop to world trance music. Check them out here and seek out their YouTube channel link to hear the full plethora of what these guys do…)
EPISODE #7 - DESTINATION: LEBANON
- #7 Lebanon - Mashrou3 Leila Published:21st March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #7: DESTINATION 'LEBANON' - "Mashrou3 Leila" - a Lebanese contemporary pop / indie rock outfit who are challenging traditional Arabic values, taboos and stereotypes in their music messages concerning politics, womens rights, homosexuality and other themes. They sound really interesting too..)
EPISODE #6 - DESTINATION: MEXICO
- #6 Mexico - Los Cuates De Sinaloa Published:18th March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #6: DESTINATION 'MEXICO/USA' - 'Los Cuates De Sinaloa' - a Mexican / American band whose "Narcocorrido" folk music style includes ballads about adventures in notoriety, the Mexican underworld and drug lords. These guys were featured on the hit TV series "Breaking Bad"…)
EPISODE #5 - DESTINATION: SOLOMON ISLANDS
- #5 Solomon Islands - Narasirato Pan Pipers Published:14th March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #5: DESTINATION 'SOLOMON ISLANDS' - Narasirato Pan Pipers - a poppy sounding traditional indigenous band from the Solomon Islands….)
EPISODE #4 - DESTINATION: RUSSIA
- #4 Russia - Leningrad Published:12th March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #4:DESTINATION 'RUSSIA' - 'Leningrad' - a Ska Punk band from Saint Petersberg in Russia…)
EPISODE #3 - DESTINATION: KAZAKHSTAN
- #3 Kazakhstan - Ulytau Published:8th March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #3:DESTINATION 'KAZAKHSTAN' - 'Ulytau' - A folk-metal band from Kazakhstan in Central Asia…)
EPISODE #2 - DESTINATION: DR CONGO
- #2 DR Congo - Konono No1 Published: 6th March 2013 (MUSIC OF THE WORLD #2:DESTINATION 'DR CONGO' - 'Konono No1' - An African electronic group who perform with electronic instruments they made themselves from the Democratic Republic of Congo…By the way the parts Konono No1 used to make their own electronic instruments from were scavaged from junk yards. These guys are like an African version of Kraftwerk mixed with Congolese Tribal Music! Very Cool! Check out their video on their Music Industrapedia page (see link above).
EPISODE #1 - DESTINATION: PERU
'Area 7' - Are an all female Nu-Metal band from Peru. These girls really rock! Check out their video on our Music Industrapedia page for them (see link above in original post).
Originally published: 3rd March 2013 on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Music-Industrapedia-119089624942862/) & Twitter (https://twitter.com/industrapedia).
'Music of the World' - YOU TUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7pS2Jl9kWh71-fDVpUTJS7WWGRblBHfA
Music of the World on Pinterest: - https://www.pinterest.com/musicindustrape/music-of-the-world-blog-at-pinterest/
Twitter: - https://twitter.com/Industrapedia